Trying to Live the Mystery

My photo
Love God. Love People. Nothing else matters.

Monday, January 25, 2010

The beginning of a new adventure...

As a senior in high school, I was on my first college campus visit at a strange reformed school in the middle of a cornfield in northwest Iowa. I remember meeting with the head of the social work department and learning all about the program and why I should attend the Dutch school. During the meeting, I asked the man: "Are there any off-campus programs in a big city?" He told me that, in fact, the school does send students to Chicago each semester to learn and work and grow. I told myself at that time that if I chose that school, I would do the Chicago Semester.

Here I am, a little over four years later, laying in my hotel bed in Chicago after my first lond day of orientation for the 2010 spring semester of the Chicago Semester Program! :D I can't believe it is finally here! It seems like it was just a few months ago that I sat in the social work pod for the first time, learning about Dordt; but at the same time, it feels like it was lifetimes ago.

All that said, my first day in Chi-town has been long and fun, full of new people and experiences. My parents drove me here on Sunday because I had some appointments this morning for my internship. Orientation started this afternoon. I have already used the CTA several times, walked down the Magnificent Mile, eaten awesome ethnic food (Middle Eastern--really good!), and been solicited for money. I love the diversity and busyness that I have seen already.

Tomorrow is another big day of orientation stuff. The biggest thing is that we will figure out who we are living with and where. We are currently staying at a hotel and will move into our apartments on Saturday. There are 88 students participating in the program, from 12 different schools (13 students from Dordt). Wednesday we will visit our apartments, sign our leases, and finish up orientation. I start my internship on Thursday! I am very excited!

That is all for now. I will try to keep this thing updated, at least weekly. Love and Prayers.

1 comment:

Renae said...

Brittney! I loved the update! It brought me right back to my first couple days of Chicago and made me realize (again) how much I truly miss that city. Say hello to it for me and please continue to update your blog. I would love to read about your adventures!

Renae