Trying to Live the Mystery

My photo
Love God. Love People. Nothing else matters.

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Summer is Coming to a Close

A lot has happened in the last couple of weeks. There have been some amazing high points and some very sad low points.
High points include the opportunities I have had to build relationships with the families at Joshua Station and with the other interns and staff. This week I am helping out at a day camp for kids called Arts in the Hood. On Monday I drove a few of our JS kids. It was fun to hang out with them and watch them interact with the other kids at the camp. I am going again on Wednesday and Thursday. Another highlight from the last couple of weeks was going on a helicopter ride over the city. There is a man in Denver who owns/flies a helicopter and takes people from different ministries over the city to pray for the city. It was amazing. All of us interns got to go. Seeing the city and people from above was a reminder of how small we are, and how much more amazing that makes the fact that God loves each of us individually and has a plan for us.

The last few days have been really hard here at Joshua Station. On Sunday, one of the JS kids, an 8 year old boy named John, was killed when he road his bike onto a busy road and was hit by a taxi. The whole community has been in shock and mourning. John was such a funny kid, with lots of energy. I worked with him a little bit at kid's club and saw him around JS all of the time. Tonight we did a memorial thing at Kid's Club, so the kids had space to grieve. We talked about death and favorite memories of John. Then the kids made cards for his parents. Finally, we let a bunch of balloons go outside and said goodbye to John. The whole thing really sucks and doesn't make any sense. Please pray for John's parents, Pam and John Sr., as well as the JS community (especially the kids).

A lot more has happened in the last couple of weeks, but my mind is kind of fuzzy right now. I will try to fill in the blanks later. This week has really been a time of closure and goodbyes. I am really going to miss the people here. I have talked to the director about coming back next year. We'll see where God leads.

1 comment:

Sonja said...

Your fun parts do sound amazing, and I'm glad you experienced them.

I'm so sorry about the boy--I hope his death only strengthens the relationships around the center instead of inviting despair, which would be entirely easy.

I love you and can't wait to see you in August.