I made it to Denver! I left home yesterday (June 1st) at 7:00am. After driving almost 700 miles, I made it to Colorado! The drive was pretty much uneventful, until the end. About 1 1/2 hours outside of Denver, I stopped in a town to get dinner and pick up a couple of things from Walmart. After stopping at a couple of stoplights, the "check gauges" light came on my dashboard. I looked down and realized that my car was overheating. Fortunately, I was right across the street from Walmart, so I was able to run in and get some coolant. Then, as I was trying to figure out where to pour the coolant, another car pulled up next to me and out stepped... a car mechanic! :) It was such a God thing. Not only was he able to show me where to pour the coolant, he was also able to point out that my fan needs to be looked at. Fortunately, the coolant did the trick and I made it to Denver! When I arrived, I unpacked and met the other interns. There are 8 other girls working at different agencies around the city.
The place I am living, Joshua Station, used to be a motel, so I am sharing a motel-style room with one other intern. It's a nice place, but it will take some time to get used to the busy road right next to our window. :)
This morning all of us interns went to the Mile High Ministry staff meeting. We had a devotional/prayer time and learned about some of the programs that Joshua Station offers the residents. Most of the afternoon was spent on orientation stuff. We learned about different churches/events/places in Denver and how to use public transportation system. We are going to have a lot of freedom on the weekends to explore the city. I am very excited! Even though I have my car here, I am only allowed to use it on the weekends so that I can experience the transportation the people in Denver use on a regular basis.
Tonight I helped out with the Kid's Club, which I will help with every week while I am here. It was great to meet some of the kids and hang out with them. Tomorrow will be my first full-day at my internship. So far I really like the city and look forward to building relationships with the people here and learning about urban ministry.
Thank you so much for all of your prayers and support!
Britt
Tuesday, June 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment